3/14/2016

The Threenager and the magic hours









Preschool years, the magic 3 hours.
6 months ago my life changed. My youngest child started at nursery. For 5 mornings a week I would have 3 golden hours a day totally child free and boy was I looking forward to it. Over the summer my terrible 2 and turned into a terrible 3 or ‘threenager’ as he will now be known.  I was sure that the routine and discipline of nursery would change my shrieking monster into a calm, instruction following angel. Well it has when he is there, back at home is a different story.
Back to my magic 3 hours. Getting to the magic hours in itself can be a trial. As parents we all know preparing and leaving the house with a child can be a juggling nightmare, think shoes/coat/do you need a wee, throw in a deadline and lack of parking, forgotten kit (my eldest) or paranoia over if you have shut the front door or not, it’s a recipe for disaster.
Anyhow once said children are deposited at the correct educational facility with the necessary items for games/show and tell, you saunter back to the car, not grabbing the hand of someone who has let go or turning around to see your threenager sitting on the pavement refusing to move until you have put his gloves on correctly. Then there is peace. Its 9.05am what are you going to do with this magic freedom?
Every fibre of my being screams “take a bath in peace, mooch around the shops, wee on your own or have a hot beverage” then there are the good intentions, you tell hubby “yes when the boys are at nursery/school I will go to the gym or swim or power walk or make those phone calls or eeeek make a health supper for everyone” no you do none of those things. You arrive back at home with the breakfast things strewn about the place, climb over the abandoned toys and books and piles of pjs and pants – yes I am talking to you Mr T, you switch on the tv only to find its still on a cartoon channel or gulp, even worse Mr Tumble is yelling “hello hello how are you” at you, but still you sit there wondering where to start.
On a good day I will be the domestic goddess and swoop around clearing up said mess, music on, usually something that gives me a bit of a boost or a cheeky bit of garage harking back to my A level days when we used to spend break times trying to get a bit of Craig David on the ancient radio that lurked in the 6th form common room. Perhaps I will make a dent in my “to do” list or bung a wash on.
This is all on a good day, on a good day my magic 3 hours (not Mondays) can be especially productive, not saying I’ve baked sweet treats for everyone or ironed hubby’s shirts, but the house will look respectable, washing is folded and put away and you can walk across the house without falling over a tiny car or treading on an, ouch, Lego brick. If I am organised then I may even get the chance to whizz to the shops for a very fast browse, or collect something I’ve clicked or even meet a friend for coffee.
Bad days are something else, taken up by Monday weekend hangover, where I sit and drink coffee, look at the mess, ignore it and watch Phil and Holly until it’s time to collect my threenager. Where did the time go? What did I achieve? How is it midday already? Or bad days are taken up by doctors/dentist appointments, trips to the bank or just all those things that you just can’t do with your toddler or 8 year old sidekick in tow.
Yes those three hours are precious. Very precious I don’t think until you have children you realise how little time you get when you are totally alone. Then you realise you miss the little monsters, you’ve missed them very much and you smother them with kisses at pickup and “mummy missed you”. Half an hour later the threenager is yelling at you because you have served up the wrong thing for lunch or left a smidge of crust on his cheese sandwich. Then you long for your magic time back again.
So take this away with you, make the most of your golden time with your pre-schooler, before you know it they are at school full time and you forget what it was like to have them there all day.
A Bit Of Everything
brummymummyof2

18 comments:

  1. I get this! I love that my daughter is now in school, having a great day, playing with her friends, I look forward to picking her up and the walk home is pleasant, then the demands happen, or she's sweet, depends...and then when she's at school I'm thinking of all the nice things we could do together during the holidays because we won't have to do the school run and I won't have to be tying myself down to work between 9.30 and 2.30 every day...only for day one of half term to start and I'm like, roll on back to school! Life eh?! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kat that's totally it, I make all sorts of plans nice things we can do after nursery but he is usually exhausted and throws a strop arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

      Delete
    2. My kids are grown but I remember. I used to tell family and friends having kids, welcome to the I used to have money, used to sleep years!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I could have written this entire post! Sometimes sitting with Phil and Holly and a cuppa is essential 'Mum maintenance' time, but the guilt that overwhelms me is shocking. Especially when it looks as if a cyclone has been through the house. I always feel so bad when I am reunited with my offspring, and smother them in love and kisses, then feel even more bad when they have behaved like total nightmares and I'm shouting again! At least we're all in the same boat. I miss my daughter now she's at school and feel I need to appreciate my boy more as he'll go next year too, then he reverts to full threenager and I'm wishing for nursery time again. Just can't win! Thanks so much for linking up with us! #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, I enjoyed writing this post and am glad I am not alone! x

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate as I have a threenager myself. Two was so much easier in comparison. My daughter starts school in August and I am so excited to see how handles it. I am looking forward to having a few hours to try out the whole domestic goddess thing. They will be 4 soon enough. Good luck with your threenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes the opportunity to become a domestic goddess, who knows how that will pan out!!

      Delete
  5. I can relate to this. Sometimes I feel genuinely terrible about how much I enjoy my [rare] child-free moments. I don't know what I'll do with myself when my eldest starts school in September and my youngest starts playgroup in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasted all of my magic hours today, eating crap, reading blogs and ignoring mess.

      Delete
  6. It's terrible when you have a little free time and you plan to do so many things and suddenly time's up and you realise you haven't really done anything - where did the time go? Then there are so many things I need to do I don't know where to start! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually start by moving piles of mess which seems to create more mess then get distracted and have a coffee then its time to go and pick him up!

      Delete
  7. Oh I hear you! I was so excited when my children were all in school and I could have some time to myself but what did I end up doing? Food shopping and errands because my kids hated tagging around with me but you are right, I missed them so much when they were at school. But hey, sometimes it is all right to take time out for yourself, like having some cake or chocolate without sharing! Thanks for sharing with #abitofeverything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its heaven just doing errands like the supermarket child free and so much quicker!!

      Delete
  8. Its so weird. I also have that I want me time and when I have it it is spent thinking how my son is in school. =P

    #wickedwednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have any time away from the kids yet. I'm at work when they are at school and when they come home. On my days off I have my toddler and do errands, but she's settling into nursery so I may get 2 hours 2 days a week. I will spend mine shopping and trying to write. You are right, we miss them when they are not there xx Thanks for linking #abitofeverything xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love my little Wednesday alone so I can do work! But I spent a few nights away this week and it nearly killed me! Thanks so much for linking up to Wicked Wednesdays! I look forward to seeing what you have lined up for this week! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I understand every word you're saying here. I hate getting up and getting 4 kids ready and out the door and then to 3 different schools but I do love my 3 hours of free time. And I can honestly say they fly by...like FLY! I always feel like I need more time. I'm visiting from #abitofeverything.

    ReplyDelete

DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS